Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Long(er) Term Training Contract

Author Topic: Long(er) Term Training Contract  (Read 16266 times)

Offline jensad

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • We are not if you can afford it, we will award it
Re: Long(er) Term Training Contract
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
KajuKDFighter is right on with his post re: finding a quality school and investing one's time and energy into that school instead of trying to find a school that does not offer what Kajukenbo schools offer.

I have alwas told people, find a school, make a COMMITMENTstay at least six months to a year, take what they offer seriously as it may save your life someday, and look for sweat on the windows, try to avoid a contract (there are pros and cons for a contract), and get INTO the culture of the school, and enjoy. 

There are too many "if you can afford it, we will award it" schools which permeate our society.  JMO.

Stan K: I agree with you that the UK Gov should stay out of legislating laws to prevent young people form participating in the martial arts.  Granted there are some poor instructors in the martial world, but the benefits from learning from a quality, qualified and caring school outweight the alledged dangers to young people.

Indeed if the school creates a caring community and culture, the kids are a part of that community as well as their parents who probably participate in the martial art training.  Banning children, in  a way bans their participation in the martial arts activity as a family affair.  JMO.

Good luck to all and stay safe, I rarely post but sometimes I need to speak to issues I support and agree with. 

jensad
Jim Nordlie
Since 1963 a student of Great Grand Master Charles H. Gaylord.

Offline kajukine2

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Estellermma.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »
Ive never had contracts, I do use a billing Co.as a convinience option only (highly recomended) But anybody can get out of the billing at any time... When people ask if I have contracts, I say no.. I dont want you for one year, or three years, I want you for twenty years....
Im happy to say I have several examples of twenty plus year students
Ron Esteller Life long student of GM James Juarez...1968-Present

Board Member KAA
Board of Advisors, Pacific Jujitsu Alliance. DZR JJ
Black shirt Pedoy Escrima Derobio under
GM Melcor Chavez
Black Belt instructor in CQC, Knife/Counter Knife, Impact Weapon Combatives  under Hock W. Hockheeim

Offline grand master hemenes

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • grand master hemenes
    • hemeneskajukenbo.com
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »
i have to disagree with not haveing a contract i remember when i first started with prof. vargas he never had contracks so when i started my school i did the same thing no contracks and after a few years i got tired of students not paying getting way behind in there dues then they just quit to get out of paying. and i had abought 100 students never could get past that number so one day i was talking to a black belt that had around 350 students and he had them all one year contracks he told me i was crazy not to try it so what i did was the 100 students i had i did not put them on contracks but who ever came in i did and i was a little scared to try it but i did anyway and i went from 100 students to over 400 and i started useing e.f.c to collect my dues that was the next step they did all the work calling them all the stuff i really did not want to do i felt funny asking some parents hey you owe me 65.00 so they did it for me. and student want out of there contracks i always let them out if they came to me and asked. so if you plane on teaching for a living you must have a contract  all you need to do is look at the big schools and ask they all have contracks and most of them have e.f.c collect there money i wont say the name of the school but at grandmaster gaylords wake he told me that they have 50 schools under them and last year they were down from 27 mill to 24 mill if you think hard you will figure out who they are.

prof. hemenes
GRAND MASTER HEMENES
GREAT GRAND MASTER GAYLORD
KOA MEMBER............

Offline steve B

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »
Jensad re: COMMITMENTstay at least six months

As a consumer I've always been skeptical of gym contracts myself..Hence why I dont require my students to sign a contract. Usually when students come in I give them two weeks worth of free training to let them see if Kaju is right for them. Then if they decide their all in I ask them to make a six month commitment to themselves, but its just a verbal agreement between me and the student..Sometimes they follow through sometimes they dont...The point is, is that it all keeps a no hard feelings sort of atomosphere, which all the other schools in town cant seem to provide. Also, in the event that you should get a disruptive/irrisponsible student in there, you'll have a hard time getting rid of him if there's a contract..  8)
Steve Bramel
Black Belt/2nd Deg.
Heart Of Texas Kajukenbo
H-Town Branch

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
I believe that using a contract in the business endeavor depends on the size and composition of the school. As Professor Hemenes pointed out in his personal example, he had 100 students and increased his enrollment to over 400 after he instituted the contract. Ultimately it boils down to whatever the instructor feels comfortable with. If the school is going to be a successful on a larger commercial scale, I do believe that a contract is indespensible and that the average consumer would expect one anyway. If the school is more personal and of a smaller scale then a contract would not be necesssary in my opinion.

Pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »
These days, having some kind of written agreement is a smart business practice.  And depending on the location of the school, some commercial property owners prefer that you have one.
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
As I commented before I issue no Contract, it is not about making money but enjoy teaching people who are serious in studying what you have to offer, I own my school and the dedicated ones helps me keep the school running with payments for the utilities, we are not many but a few but enjoy to learn and training goes on and on, I have had my building since 1968
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 06:00:49 AM »
Because most martial arts studios that make a good living are what most of us would consider mcdojo's. It's hard for that instructor to show that's not the case. It would be hard to run a school that size and not give up some of what KAJUKENBO is. I am not saying you did, just saying what a lot of KAJUKENBO people might think when looking.  My KAJUKENBO came from a garage floor and it was the happiest time of my life. The students knew that GM Harper could run a school and survive. After 20 years he listened and opened the KAJUPIT in Visalia. He has now outgrown the building so he now has to think if he wants to get bigger or stay where he is at. I know GM Harper didn't change anything, KAJ all the way.
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System