Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Long(er) Term Training Contract

Author Topic: Long(er) Term Training Contract  (Read 16187 times)

Offline Sifu C

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • CLAW Martial Arts
Long(er) Term Training Contract
« on: March 22, 2006, 01:05:23 PM »
Good Day, All.  I want to offer prospective students in my young Martial Arts School the option of signing a long term contract for training.  Long term could be three months, six months or twelve months . . . anything longer than month to month.

I am hoping members of my Kaju Ohana may already have what they believe to be an effective long(er) term contract for students or parents to sign.  If so and you are willing to share, I would appreciate your sending me your contract preferably in a Word document to my email address.  Or you can post here for all to see.

If I receive several contracts, my intention is to cut and past the best features to create a "Best Practice" long(er) term contract and then post that one for all to see and use as desired.

Remember, plagiarism (with permisson) is one of the highest forms of compliment!

With my respects and appreciation,

Sibak C

Sifu Craig Lawrence
CLAW Martial Arts - Chief Instructor
4th Degree Black Belt, KSDI
Antioch, CA
www.clawmartialarts.50megs.com

Offline Sifu C

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • CLAW Martial Arts
Re: Long(er) Term Training Contract
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:58:40 PM »
Alas, no responses received.

Wtih my respects,

Sibak C
Sifu Craig Lawrence
Antioch, CA

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:35:24 PM »
I have an old one that I can send you via email.  Give me your email address and I will send it over. 
Dan Tyrrell

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:02:22 AM »
Whatever you decide to do, it would be in your best interest to include some sort of discount for signing up for longer term contracts rather than month to month.
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Sifu C

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • CLAW Martial Arts
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
No, Sir.  I did not get enough responses to get the creative juices flowing.  I was hoping to get four or five contracts in Word so I could cut and paste the best parts of them into one document I could share.

With My Respects,

Sibak C
Sifu Craig Lawrence
Antioch, CA

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 11:53:42 AM »
When I trained with Ahgong Ramos, we did not have CONTRACTS and I run my school still the same way, a release form.
Emil
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

NickS

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
I don't believe in contracts either. However, the school at which I am one of the head instructors does have contracts. I have a mixed feeling about treating Kajukenbo as a business. If I had my own school (maybe someday) I would only charge enough to pay for the overhead; making a profit is not important to me. Probably because I had another career that paid decently; and I retired from it.   I can e-mail you a copy of the contract I used to have to sign when I was a student. It is a blank form, two pages, lots of legal, binding installment contract/payment schedule kind of wording.  I don't want to post it to the world, so send me your e-mail address if interested. Aloha.

Offline Mark Dinkel

• Blue Belt
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:04:24 PM »
Cutting and pasting from several contracts and then distributing it, is practicing law. I suspect you are not an attorney or you would know that.

If you do this for yourself, that is fine, you can be your own attorney, although it is not recommended. The minute you start to distribute your end resultant contract to others for use, you are then practicing law, and this may be a crime in your state or jurisdiction.

Also remember a contract only protects you as deep as your pockets run. To give you an example I purchased a rental property about a decade ago. When you buy real estate, there is a seller's disclosure form. On that form, a question is posed as to whether there are any water problems such as flooding on the property. The seller in my case said no. It was eventually discovered that he had so many flooding problems with the property that he had several meetings with Mayor and Council to address the street conditions which were being blamed for the flooding.

To make a long story short, it was a clear case of misleading representation in a contract. You know what I got out of it; about $40K in attorneys fees to fight the thing in court for two years of constant extensions and improper time delaying motions and tactics by the other side. I eventually realized I was throwing good money after bad and recognized the fraudulent seller had deeper pockets than me. As a result, I put my tail between my legs and walked away. The contract mandated by the Housing and Urban Development department of the Federal government served no purpose what so ever.

Also when I moved from Maryland to Arizona, I noticed the standard Arizona lease was rather flimsy, basically one or two pages. The Maryland lease was four to five pages with small type on legal sized paper. As a result, and hoping to protect myself that much more than the average Arizona landlord, I combined the best of both leases. They did a lot of good in court (hehe, that is sarcasm in case you did not know). I got out of the landlord business because I came to realize judges like tenants and hate landlords, at least the ones I was going in front of seemed to be that way.
Student black belt
Sifu GM Vince Black
Orange belt
Instructor Sensei Tobias

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »
One thing that was done in our school was that the liability waiver was reviewed by an attorney.  He helped to get all the wording in there correctly.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

NickS

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 04:09:15 PM »
I also suggest working out the details with an attorney who is up to speed on the laws in your state that govern contracts for goods/services such as you provide. You can use contracts from other schools as reference; get some good ideas from them. A decent attorney will be able to get all the wording correct to protect you and the customer; and ensure the contract will work for you and your school. By the way, our school is now recommending an 18-month contract (over the old 12 month one). I don't like contracts, but I suppose they are necessary if you want to be sure you can pay your bills on time. Whatever happened to the old "hand shake" as a binding contract?

Offline Sifu C

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • CLAW Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
Thank you  . . . all good comments.  Perhaps "contract" is too strong a word.  Maybe I should have said an "upfront understanding."  For example, s student wants to give you 12-18 months of class dues upfront to get a discount.  What happens when the Chief Instructor can no longer teach due to an injury 6 months into the 12?  What happens if the student decides to quit training 3 months into the 12, but the Chief Instructor is ready, willing and able to continue the training?  My real goal is not a contract but a clear understanding between Student and Chief Instructor when the more common untoward circumstances arise.

Unfortunately. "doing the right thing" can mean different things to different people at the time.  So what is the best way to achieve this upfront understanding?  A contract?  A written school policy?  A verbal agreement?  Silence hoping all goes well?  Don't accept 12-18 months offers?

With My Respects,

Sibak C

Sifu Craig Lawrence
Antioch, CA

Offline Mark Dinkel

• Blue Belt
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 03:16:09 PM »
You can call an apple and orange but it doesnt change the fruit.
Student black belt
Sifu GM Vince Black
Orange belt
Instructor Sensei Tobias

Vala Au

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »
I have a disclaimer/waiver just to ensure they acknowledge what they are getting into.  I don't have contracts, and have always done month to month.  I'd rather have loyal people that want to be there instead of binding someone to something that might not be right for them.  More quality than quantity.

Offline Lance Mattingly

• White Belt
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »
When I trained with Ahgong Ramos, we did not have CONTRACTS and I run my school still the same way, a release form.
Emil

personally i like this way better then contracts and is how my instructor does it. however, the option of 3 6 or 12 months is not bad. most schools most schools ive ever tried to cross train in have always had a 12 month agreement. i dont like the idea of being stuck in an agreement for a year when in a month or so i may decide i dont like how that instructor teaches class.
Lance Mattingly
Brown belt under Sensei Dennis Swift

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »
Students should really do their research and decide where they want to train by watching and maybe trying a class.  It takes a huge commitment to be a true Kaju person, and changing schools often is not the way to do that.  Just like buying a car spend the time and find out if the school is for you....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision