Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Karate

Author Topic: Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Karate  (Read 52304 times)

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re:Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Karate
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2003, 02:55:50 PM »
Aloha,

On my school's history of Chinese Kempo Karate handout I state, "The purpose of this version of history is not to present irrefutable facts to the world, but rather to provide our students with a verifiable lineage - to give them some roots."

As the previous discussions show, we all have differing views on what happened and what should have happened. I have to agree that no matter what happened, we all owe a lot to the early pioneers.  I will make a point of mentioning that in future editions of my handout.

Respectfully,
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

ram

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2003, 09:38:55 AM »
Aloha,
My question on Professor Godin's involvement with Chuan Fa was in no way meant to question his rank. It is just that I met one of his students ( last name Silva) and he was wearing a shirt with some chinese writing on it and in english it listed the martial art style( Ican't remember to well, it was about ten years ago )and next to it was the word chuan fa. Now at the time I knew of chuan fa in Kajukenbo, so I asked him what his meant. He said that he was an instructor under Walter Godin and that their roots trace back to Joe Emperado and the chuan fa branch of Kajukenbo. That was the main reason for my question. Another reason was because I try to go through all the topics on the forum so that I can better my knowledge of the WHOLE art, and many times there are certain topics or posts that contradict others. So I just want to make sure that if I or someone else is talking about history or knowledge of Kajukenbo, I hope that I would be able to know when they are or are not speaking fact, or fiction. An example of contradicting posts would be the Kajukenbo prayer. In on post it is said that Professor Gaylord wrote the prayer, yet in others it is said that it was written by Frank Ordonez, and yet I think there was one more. This forum has become an encyclopedia on Kajukenbo for me thanks to all the grandmasters and professors and long time instructors that give us feedback. So my hats off to Sigung John Bishop, the moderators and the creators of this forum. I have only gained valuable knowledge from joining.

ram

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2003, 10:31:18 PM »
Thank you Professor Scott. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Anymore questions that I have on the chuan fa branch I will address to you since you are the moderator for that section. On that note, I have just one more question...In a post in the Gaylord Method section, it states that the Gaylord Method and the Ramos Method are METHODS in the chuan fa section. As it is also stated that both have ties to George Seronio. So where does the chuan fa come from in their methods?
Just to make it clear once again, in no way am I questioning the credentials of these masters, I have nothing but respect for them. If my questions offend anyone, please feel free to let me know so that I will better know where to draw the line.

I have met Professor Godin on several occasions and he was always  willing to talk on and on with me about training. It's too bad for me that I never had the interest for it back then as I do now.

Mahalo to everyone for their responses, it helps me to understand this art more and more.

Ram

ram

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2003, 11:33:10 PM »
Oops, my apologies to Prof. Scott. My last question should've been adressed to Prof. Herrera. This forum is so large that I made a little mistake.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2003, 09:45:16 PM »
Incidentally, Professor Godin was big on using the prayer. Many of his students including those who went their own way say it upon opening and/or closing classes.
Respectfully,

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2003, 10:03:46 PM »
You can order a copy of Professor Godin's first and only interview in Fighting Arts Hawaii (this is also an excellent magazine). I have put together an order form on my website at http://hokkien.uuft.org/subscription.html

Also, I respect what others have to say about Godin and read everything that I can find about him. This includes negatives. (I just might not agree with it.)

No matter what your take, Godin was one of the most controversial figures in Kajukenbo history.

Respectfully,

Offline kajukenbobadboy

• White Belt
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2003, 02:11:50 PM »
Instructor Evans,
You seem to think Prof Godin is one bad dude. But hey, I have a copy of the Kajukenbo series by Panther Productions. This includes Sijo Emperado's interview. Sijo said Godin was a coward. He said Prof Godin took off when Joe Emperado was killed.
Sorry to break it to you. I also don't mean any disrespect because I've seen you at tournaments and think you and other of Prof Godin's boyz are awesome. I just want to clarify some history. Okay?
Mahalo,
Frank DeCarlo
Oklahoma City, OK

Greg Harper

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2003, 04:20:20 PM »
Mr. Kajukenbobadboy  ;D
i see from your profile that you are 20 year's old.
so i do not think you can clarify history befor 1983.
I am Sijo Emperado's Body Guard & just got off the phone with Sijo & Dechi Emperado about your coments.
Sijo is pissed off and asked me who the He _ _ you are >:(
you were not even born in 1958 and there is much more to the story.
Sijo & the Emperado family have put that time to rest.
and you are being disrespectfull.
and if sijo said that at that time no one knows what his state of mind was then but him.
but he doe's not want that said or talked about any more.
I am very tiered of people like you that think you know more than you do.
the following are Sijo Emperado's words for (YOU) >:(
(and I agree with him as I know many others do )
KNOCK IT OFF >:(
I know when we are small we are told if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all.
If you dont like what sijo has to say to you then just let me know >:(
and go ahead and say it here in this open forum.
so all of Kajukenbo can see.
yes i am upset but remember since you chose to
qote Sijo in an open forum.
It is him who is responding to you by my hand.
Sijo is waiting for your reply >:(

this letter was read to sijo word for word
and he said send it
 8)
Professor Greg Harper
Sijo Emperado's Personal Body Guard
K.S.D.I. Visalia Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2003, 11:27:42 PM »
Professor Harper,
Thank you sir! You have my respect. I was going to say something to shake the heck out of Mr. DeCarlo's cage but you did an excellent job. Please give my respects to Sijo. Also I apologize for interupting but I have a couple more things to tell young Mr. DeCarlo.

Mr. DeCarlo,
Upon reading your incitive comments and Professor Harper's response, I have the wisdom to avoid making any comment on the matter because if Sijo wants us to put the matter behind us so be it. In one of my last phone calls to Professor Godin, he told he had a lot of respect for Sijo. Please don't upset that memory.

As I said before, you can order a copy of Professor Godin's first and only interview from Fighting Arts Hawaii. Mr. DeCarlo, if you give me your address, I will personal purchase you a copy of that collector's issue and have it mailed directly to you.

Last but not least, Professor Godin was not a coward! You have a lot of nerve to call yourself "Kajukenbo Bad Boy" if you don't even know that Professor Godin was an original Kajukenbo Bad Boy! A lot of people have different opinions on him but no matter what, Professor Walter L.N. Godin was not afraid of anything.

I hope this settles the matter. I have a student of mine visiting friends in your hometown of Oklahoma City this Labor Day weekend. He will be at the Hooters on 2109 SW 74th St. Just ask for Johnson. He'll be waiting for you. If you want to apologize, buy him a beer...

Once again Professor Harper, I apologize for the interuption and had to get these matters on my chest.

Respectfully,

Offline kajukenbobadboy

• White Belt
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2003, 11:27:08 AM »
To whom it may concern:

I am terrible sorry about the statement I made and wish to retract it. I recklessly made it based on my recollection from a video I watched over a year ago.

Also, I am currently out of town taking care of my sick grandma. She is to be moved into a nursing home and I am trying to get her affairs in order. I am learning all I can about her finances and all kinds legal mumbo-jumbo. Yes, I am under a lot of pressure and had to miss school for this semester. Also,  Grandma doesn't have a computer and trying to write something that makes sense while sitting at a public terminal is stressful.

I did not mean to anger anyone and apologize. This especially goes out to Sijo Adriano Emperado, Professor Greg Harper and Instructor Andrew Evans.

Please accept my humble apologies.

Frank
Frank DeCarlo
Oklahoma City, OK

Offline kajukenbobadboy

• White Belt
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2003, 03:12:38 PM »
I learned a lot about Walter Godin from Andrew Evans and others I spoke with over the phone. Though I didn't know much about him before hanging out at this cafe, I have lots of respect from the man. He led a colorful life.

Instructor Evans, thanks for your advice on your legal library. I'm don't like asking for help and rather waste time chasing nothing. Sorry you aren't around, I was hoping to do the honor of buying you lunch. Yeah, I¡¯m still working on the stuff but I gotta go or I'll look to buy you dinner. Anyway, I'll be heading back home for a while. Sorry I didn't get to stop by for one of your classes or meet the legendary Johnson.

Humbly yours,
Frank DeCarlo
Frank DeCarlo
Oklahoma City, OK

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2003, 11:28:13 AM »
Frank, I also regret not getting to meet you in person. Having to take care of elderly relatives is a tough burden for anyone especially for someone under 21. Hang tough and travel safely!

Anyway, I'm hoping we can get the focus back on to the specific topic of this section in the forum. Professor Walter Godin certainly led an interesting life. I'm sure there are lots of stories out there that some of us have never heard of. I hope folks are willing to share them.

When Professor passed away, he was at peace with the world and did not hold any grudges. Yes, he had some low points in his life but to see how he overcame them makes him ever greater.

To fall seven times is to rise eight times. Professor did it! He never let the falls keep him down.

Respectfully,

Offline kajukenbobadboy

• White Belt
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2003, 09:03:28 PM »
Yes, Prof Godin never let low points ruin his life. After turning his life around from being in jail for a drug-related offense, Prof Godin but was pardoned by the governor of Hawaii.

By the way, this Okie made it back safely to the Sooner State. I still wish there was some Kaju action. Inst. Evans, if you want to move down here, I will unload your moving truck free of charge and sign up for classes.

Frank
Frank DeCarlo
Oklahoma City, OK

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2003, 10:14:09 PM »
To add more details.

Professor Godin was convicted of conspiracy in 1982. While in office, former Hawaii Governor Ben Cayetano pardoned him in 1995. Whether Professor was actually guilty or not, the important thing is he was glad to get the conviction behind him and went on to accomplish a lot with the rest of his life. This included giving a seminar in the "Big Apple" with Shihan Michael Depasquale, writing a book of his experience with the great Joe Emperado, starting an organization (Godin's Ohana), and running the last standing Kajukenbo/Chinese Kempo school in the Palama Settlement.

Due to his untimely death, Professor never got a chance to give seminars in Dallas, the city that shares the same name as his favorite television show and Kansas City, the home of America's blues and jazz heritage. I will never forget the way he said, "Kansas City here I come!"

Respectfully,

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2003, 03:08:58 PM »
Thank you, Professor Scott. This is good news! The Palama Settlement is a very sacred place for all of us. I am glad someone else from the Kajukenbo lineage is now holding the torch there. Please give a thank you and congratulations to Grandmaster Sixto Ramos Jr. on behalf of me and my school.

Mahalo,