Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
WKO DVD Preview

Author Topic: WKO DVD Preview  (Read 11367 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
WKO DVD Preview
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:56:42 AM »
This preview clip has Sijo Emperado, GM Joe Davis, GM Gary Forbach, Professor Allen Abad, Sigung Joe Tarango, Sigung Bill Rodriguez, and Sigung Ray Rosales.  (Although these mpegs are much lower in picture quality then the hi-definition DVD's, they give you a idea of the material the DVD's contain).

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/kaju_wko_training_preview1.wvx

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/kaju_wko_training_preview2.wvx
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 10:09:31 PM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
Re: WKO DVD Preview
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 10:57:41 PM »
Sigung Bishop,

Excellent video resolution on my media player for the two previews, and informative as a trailer or preview of what's on the DVD.  Thanks for the hard work to make it available on this site.  Watching Sijo Emperado execute his skills and techniques gives me a glimpse of how our art is taught and passed down.  I've had a couple of classes with Great Grandmaster Gaylord.  As soon as I saw Sijo execute in the first video GGrandmaster Gaylord popped into my head.  To watch the Masters of Kajukenbo demonstrate their teaching is to see skill and knowledge owned by every cell of their bodies.  They also reminded so clearly of Professor Coleen*.  They know...they show..they teach...they are that what we seek to be, at least for me, on this journey.  Of course, I'm a turtle compared to so many of my sisters and brothers, but I know what it's suppose to be like from point A to B to Z and then back to A again. :o.  I have always thought we are an awesome art as so aptly demonstrated by the videos.

(*In one of my earlier posts I explained that I referred to Professor Coleen as Sifu as that was her wish before she died to her students.  However, I also realize that to do so here might indicate a lack of respect and neither do I wish to explain every time I make reference to Professor Coleen why I refer to her as Sifu.  So, I think for the Cafe, I'll refer to Professor Coleen as Professor Coleen...just an FYI for those who might have read that in an earlier post. :)  Thanks again.

Respectfully
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 11:05:37 AM »
Rockatear,

I never judge someone by a single post. I can tell from your other posts that you are a respectful person. Just like in self-defense, one should never just haul off and start swinging. This is a friendly community where other martial artists are invited to learn about Kajukenbo and share their thoughts. I believe the rest of the Kaju Cafe are of like mind.

Take care,
Andrew

p.s. Thank you to the Cafe for being such a wonderful and open community. Last but not least, thank you to Sigung Bishop, Sijo Emperado, GM Forbach, Professor Abad, Sigung Tarango, and Sigung Rosales for helping to propagate Kajukenbo.

(*In one of my earlier posts I explained that I referred to Professor Coleen as Sifu as that was her wish before she died to her students.  However, I also realize that to do so here might indicate a lack of respect and neither do I wish to explain every time I make reference to Professor Coleen why I refer to her as Sifu.  So, I think for the Cafe, I'll refer to Professor Coleen as Professor Coleen...just an FYI for those who might have read that in an earlier post. :)  Thanks again.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:27:06 PM »

Respectfully

She was both.  She was your "Sifu" (teacher), and her official title and rank was "Professor".  So your Sifu was Professor Coleen.
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »
Looks good.  I would like to see a preview of a technique being taught, however... even the best produced video series have been ruined by poor camera angles, bad sound, or poor editing (not to say that will be present here).  However, in some videos I've looked at buying, I've steered clear because the actual value of the tapes, instruction, was not present.  It would be great to see a segment or entire techniqe being demonstrated and explained that is indiative of the series, so we may get a clear picture of what is being made available.
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 10:18:26 PM »
Sigung Bishop and Sifu Andrew,

Thank you both for your responses and clarification.  When I come to the cafe, I always feel like I'm in a welcoming and knowledgeable place. :)
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 03:34:17 PM »
Looks good.  I would like to see a preview of a technique being taught, however... even the best produced video series have been ruined by poor camera angles, bad sound, or poor editing (not to say that will be present here).  However, in some videos I've looked at buying, I've steered clear because the actual value of the tapes, instruction, was not present.  It would be great to see a segment or entire techniqe being demonstrated and explained that is indiative of the series, so we may get a clear picture of what is being made available.

Your sort of missing the point of these 2 clips.  (Soon, there will be more of the actual techniques being taught.) 
Never before has the founder of a major system ever recorded his complete system on video, DVD, 8mm movie, etc.  Kano didn't do it. Funakoshi didn't do it.  Motobu didn't do it.  Mitose didn't do it.  Chow didn't do it.  Even Parker failed to record his system. 
The historical significance of these tapes in recording the "Original Method" as taught by Sijo Emperado is of great importance to Kajukenbo practitioners and other martial artists.  With all the "branches", and "methods" now being practiced, and probably many more to be created in the future, these DVD's are our historical record for all time.     
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 04:28:02 PM »
No, I understand that perfectly... however, a historical record is only useful if one can understand what is being shown to them if they are unfamiliar with what it "should" be.  In other words, if I have a child and s/he takes up kajukenbo in 30 years, will these DVDs be useful instructional tools for his/her understanding of Original Method technique, or will they be a documentary and of historical value alone?  If the latter is the only goal of these DVDs, then I am mistaken, but the impression I got was that it sought to combine history and practical instruction.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 11:10:36 AM »
Yes you are definately missing the point. ::)
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 12:17:47 PM »
Then perhaps you could offer an explanation, rather than a snide animated gif?

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 12:24:52 PM »
Sigung Bishop:

Inquiring minds want to know why you did not make any mention of GM Joe Davis and Prof. Bill Rodriquez that are also in the WKO tapes?

Soifua,

p.s. I'm just the messenger. :D

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 01:15:30 PM »
No, I understand that perfectly... however, a historical record is only useful if one can understand what is being shown to them if they are unfamiliar with what it "should" be.  In other words, if I have a child and s/he takes up kajukenbo in 30 years, will these DVDs be useful instructional tools for his/her understanding of Original Method technique, or will they be a documentary and of historical value alone?  If the latter is the only goal of these DVDs, then I am mistaken, but the impression I got was that it sought to combine history and practical instruction.

I have the old WKO tapes.  There should be no problem learning technique off of them.  They are done slow and fast and if I remember right, from different angles.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 01:20:46 PM »
When I posted up the first mpeg link, GM Davis and Sigung Rodriguez do not appear in it.  When I added the second mpeg that they do appear in, I forgot to edit the first caption and add their two names. 
You can assure who ever it is that is asking, that they are getting proper credit for their participation. 
In the future, if anyone ever has any questions or comments for me, please feel free to ask or tell me directly.   

http://www.kajukenboinfo.com/kajukenbo_products.aspx

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 01:09:13 AM by John Bishop »
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 01:51:32 PM »
In the future, if anyone ever has any questions or comments for me, please feel free to ask or tell me directly.   

SiGung Bishop:

Question for you.  I think the DVD price is very reasonable.  I would, and I am guessing that others would as well, be willing to pay a great deal more for these DVDs provided that Sijo gets that difference in the royalties (I am assuming that he is already receiving royalties from the tapes - please correct me if I am wrong.)  When sending you the money for the tapes, how would one go about paying extra for our Sijo?

Respectfully,

Dan
Dan Tyrrell

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 01:55:35 PM »

I have the old WKO tapes. There should be no problem learning technique off of them. They are done slow and fast and if I remember right, from different angles.

Cool; that's what I was hoping to find out.  Thank you for that.  Hopefully I can wrangle up some funds to get at least part of the set in the near future.