Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajukenbo in Public Schools

Author Topic: Kajukenbo in Public Schools  (Read 11196 times)

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
Kajukenbo in Public Schools
« on: January 11, 2005, 02:41:59 PM »
Hello everyone.  I have started this topic looking for 2 things:  Local Black Belts (Portland/Vancouver area) that are looking for somewhere to teach or who are looking for teaching experience.  Depending on actual level of Black Belt, I would like permission from your Sifu for you to be teaching.  Next, I am also looking for any donations of gear and/or training equipment.

Here is what I am doing.  I am bringing Kajukenbo/Kenpo to a bunch of local public schools.  I am working with a school program that is involved with approximately 45 schools in the area, from grade schools to High Schools.  They also have community centers.  Right now I am personally teaching at 2 high schools and start a grade school and a community center by the end of the month.  I have also referred one person to teach at another grade school.  At this point, there are 2 grade schools and a high school that want me to teach for them.  Due to my schedule and lack of time, I cannot possibly teach everywhere at once.

I need individuals that would be interested in helping spread Kajukenbo, or related Arts, through the school system, to join together with me and take on some of these locations.

I started by just teaching Kajukenbo to the football players at one school last summer, and now have many schools emailing and calling me with an interest in my classes.  I can see this growing to be very large.  There are many possibilities available if we work together.

The average compensation is $15 per hour, all of which goes to the instructor.  I am asking for all of us to put a small percentage into a fund from which we can buy pads, kick shields, etc.  Not all of us can afford to purchase these teaching aids individually, but as a group we can help each other.  I do have a wholesale account with a Martial Arts supplier, so I can get the uniforms, shields, gear, etc. all very cheap.

The current times are in the afternoons and evenings, usually Monday thru Thursday, as most of them don't have any programs going on Friday.  Some Fridays and weekends could be utilitzed by the community centers or for all of us to get together and share what we are all doing.

If you are interested in teaching or have supplies you would like to donate, please contact me.  Here is my email address - tjunker2004@msn.com and my phone number - (503) 381-2327.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions, etc. also.

Let's spread and grow Kajukenbo!!!!

Sifu Trent Junker
Portland, OR
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:45:02 PM by envisiontj »
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
Re:Kajukenbo in Public Schools
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:50:59 PM »
More pics of the students.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:51:48 PM by envisiontj »
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 04:14:27 PM »
Still haven't figured out how to put more than one pic in once post.
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 11:31:21 AM »
Great job Sifu Junker!

I applaud your efforts in helping to spread the art and also bettering society by giving the children/young adults a healthy and beneficial activity.

Regards,
Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 11:40:02 AM »
Thanks Andrew (not sure of title, so didin't put one),

It has been a great experience for me also.

Kajukenbo Forever!!!!

Trent
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:11:19 PM »
Trent: (TITLE)
Student Black, 1st degree and 2nd degree are called Sibak
3rd degree, 4th degree, 5th degree are refurred to as sifu.
under the listing of the Kajukenbo Self-Defense Institute Incorperated.
Hope this helps.
Emil

Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 01:54:53 PM »
Thanks GM Bautista,

I do know the Kajukenbo titles, but I actually am not sure of Andrew's title because he doesn't teach just Kajukenbo, so I don't know what title he prefers.

What title do you use Andrew?

Thanks.

Trent
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 02:44:05 PM »
The good thing about teaching multiple arts is that if someone says a title, there's a good chance they are right.  :) But just like Sifu/Guro Dean Goldade, we also use the Sifu/Guro title.

However, kempomama prefers to be called Sifu Sheryl by the students.

To honor the late Professor Walter Godin's memory, I use "Chief" as in Chief Instructor Andrew Evans. The Chief Instructor title is what Prof Godin used for his 4th and 5th degree blackbelts.

Outside of class and martial arts activities, I ask them to call me Andrew. I also do this because I sometimes hang out in places where fights easily break out (bars where good blues music is played, local boxing matches with rowdy crowds, and occasionally in the courthouse :o ).

We all have our idiosyncricies but I think if my students accidentally call me Chief in a blues bar or at a boxing match it would attract less attention than being called Sifu (I will avoid getting challenged plus I kinda look Native American).  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:57:07 PM by Andrew Evans »
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 01:34:36 PM »
Sifu Trent:

Best wishes to you and your new students.

Sorry, we don't have any spare gear. The gear we use is the stuff Tyler and I used coming up. Fortunately, for us we have been training for a while and now we are sharing it with our students.

For $$$ donations do you want us to just call you?

We also have a heavy bag that goes a long way. These days I find that my car is more of a mobile dojo than a vehicle.  ;)

Good luck to you again. ;D

Happy New Year.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 06:37:19 PM »
Thank you Sifu Serene,

I definitely understand the mobile dojo.  With me teaching at so many different locations, I end up keeping the gear and pads and everything in the car.

As for the $$$ donations.  If anyone desires to help out that way, you can mail to me at 4914 NE 57th, Portland, OR  97218, or PayPal me at tjunker2004@msn.com or call me at (503) 381-2327.

Kajukenbo Forever!!!

Trent
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 02:18:03 PM »
Sifu Trent,

Have you been to the Sidekick Foundation? They help up dudes like yourself.

http://sidekickfoundation.org

Keep up the good work!
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 03:14:00 PM »
Thank you for the link.  I will check into it.

I am happy to say that we are growing steadily.  I have multiple instructors placed at various schools, I am personally teaching at 6 locations, and I have more schools calling or emailing me almost everyday.

Sifu Trent Junker
Pacific NW Martial Arts Outreach
(503) 381-2327
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 10:10:50 AM »
The Program is coming along nicely.  In fact, we are being offered more schools than I have instructors available for.  Soon we will be spread much further.

I don't know much about business legalities, etc, so I would like some help as to how to legally make my program a legal entity (association, oreganization, etc.).  Please, if anyone knows, let me know.  Thanks.

My brother called me early this morning and told me about an article in a local newspaper.  Maybe this will all spread even sooner, although, as a parent I quesion where the funding will come from if it were to pass.

Here it is:  http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=6043

Sifu Trent Junker
Pacific NW Martial Arts Outreach
"Bringing The Dynamics Of Martial Arts To The Youth Of Today, Ensuring A Safer Tomorrow"
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline sifu_adam

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Kajukenbo Alive in Colorado!
    • Loveland Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 10:48:13 AM »
In Colorado (and a few other states) they have a program called Young Champions. It is a karate and gymnastics type program that is taught at schools very close to the type of program you have going.

It may be of interest for you to contact them or look at how they run the programs.

Here is the web site

www.ycoapom.com

I am not involved with the programs of young champions. The rules to be a "Young Champions" instructor did not fit with me already being a independent school instructor. It is also not based in my area (Fort Collins) and is more in the Denver area, about an hour away. I found out about it through my cousin that takes her son to the program.
The young champions program has these tournaments that bring all the schools/students together. They have divisions like strongest punch, highest kick, and fun things like that to have karate competition that features other events than just fighting and kata. The tournament fees are very inexpensive and catered to the the "fun" style events.

I think most information you would need to contact them should be on the web site. If you need more let me know I could see if my cousin has a direct phone number for you.

Sifu Adam Martinez

5th Degree Kajukenbo and Kodokan Judo,  also teaching Kickboxing and Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 09:28:04 PM »
Sifu Adam,

Thanks alot.  I will check it out.  I am sure it will be of some assistance.

Sifu Trent
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott