Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Last Black Belt under Sijo

Author Topic: Last Black Belt under Sijo  (Read 9441 times)

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
Last Black Belt under Sijo
« on: August 27, 2005, 07:00:31 PM »
I am asking this question purely out of curiosity and historical Kajukenbo knowledge.

Who was the LAST person that Sijo personally trained and promoted up through the ranks to Black Belt?  I know there are now alot of people directly under him that weren't actually trained by him.  Also, when did Sijo actually stop teaching regularly - not including seminars or guest spots at other schools, but actually teaching his own students?
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
Re: Last Black Belt under Sijo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:09:48 PM »
Well, I'm assuming that since this post has 46 views and yet no replies noone knows the answer to my question.  I was just curious to know more about our Sijo.  Maybe I can figure it out somehow.  If I find out I will pass the info along here.  Hope everyone is having a good day.
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 09:58:25 PM »
I'll ask Sijo when he comes down to Texas on September 8, if I can remember.  ???

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 01:26:58 AM »
Easiest way would be to just write Sijo and ask him.  Sijo's usually very willing to discuss history with people.  Especially Kajukenbo black belts.   
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 01:28:48 AM »
I am just guessing, but maybe Clarence Luna Emperado or the late Larry Gumataotao.  Just a guess.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 01:47:00 AM »
Good chance it's one of those two.  I'm leaning toward Prof. Gumataotao.
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 04:54:46 AM »
Hey thanks guys.  Sigung Bishop, I'll try that.  I'll write directly to Sijo and ask.  I forgot about it when I saw him in California.
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 04:27:35 PM »
Professor Harper - Thanks alot for checking into and verifying that.  You said it was in the '80's right?  How is everything for you sir?
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

LOYALONEHK

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:27:25 PM »
what about the techniques were revised?

I would like to summarize documentation on this subject to help answere your question.
My source:  INSIDE KUNG-FU, magazine, April 1990, K48325 edition
TITLE:  EMPERADO'S BLACK BELT SOCIETY
AUTHOR:  RON HARRIS - Kajukenbo / Kalipunan Founder

The original BBS was formed in 1947 and was reformed in 1987, Sijo wanted to bring together the top instructors that truely support him and bring all the branches of kajukenbo back together under the direct supervission and instruction of Sijo himself. This was known as the EKA or EMPERADO KAJUKENBO ASSOCIATION. 
These instructors; Alan Reyes, Richard Peralta, Jamie Basquez, Emil Bautista on the kenpo method and Joe Davis on Chuan Fa Gung Fu, all contributed their knowledge of traditional Kajukenbo.
Sijo, Larry Gumataotao (Sijo's Right Hand Man) and Louie Addeo have shown the revised Kajukenbo techniques.   

The focus "Kajukenbo Flow"  , Sijo's revision  of the future of Kajukenbo at that time.

Therefore the birth of the "Revised Techniques".     
AN EVOLUTIONARY MILE STONE IN KAJUKENBO HISTORY under the direction of SIJO himself.

According to the article, Nine people signed the original EKA charter;
Adriano Emperado, Alan Reyes, Richard Peralta, George Kaanana, Vince Black, Jamie Basquez, Emil Bautista, Lorenzo Gumataotao and Philip Galinas.

With Respect to all Grand Masters and Professors please correct me if I am wrong, 
Sifu Dean
This is how I understand it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:58:12 PM by loyalonehk »

sleddog

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »
This is a very difficult thing to establish as the criteria used to establish this would be interpreted differently by everyone who hears it.

I am not going to use titles here exept for Sijo's because it would take too long to list them.

When the EKA was established Sijo was living at Vince Black's house in San Diego. He was married to his wife Linda (Not Clarence Luna's mother). The group that drew itself around to support Sijo at that time definitely included Larry Gumataotao. Sijo had been left to his own devices and hadf been abandoned by most of his kajukenbo "Ohana". There might be those who would say that he brought it on himself. We did not.

Sijo stayed primarily with Vince Black at this time, but also stayed with Larry and others. He also conducted seminars and training camps in San Diego, San Jose, Maui, San Marcos (Tx), Montreal and New York. Perhaps other places as well but I am not sure and will err on the side of caution on this point.

In San Diego, Sijo conducted regular, daily training of Louis Addeo, Willie Estela and a few other guys in Vince's back yard. He taught them his revised "Alphabet". I learned it that way from them at this time. He may have also done this at Larry's place too but I was never there so I don't know. It would have been in character for Sijo to do it that way because Larry was so fiercely loyal to him.

Larry and his guys always participated in the EKA training sessions to support Sijo so they were never out the loop. They sponsored the 2nd (or 3rd) EKA seminar in San Jose. I was not able to make that one.

All this is to say that there were others who trained seriously under Sijo at that time. To say that any one person was the "last" would put those others in an odd position. I know that a few black belts were promoted at that time. Hard to put a date on or qualify a position for any of them. Most of them can be found in Vince Black's tree.

This is not to challenge anything, just to clarify a couple of points that I was in a position to witness personally.

Offline lhommedieu

• White Belt
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »
All this is to say that there were others who trained seriously under Sijo at that time. To say that any one person was the "last" would put those others in an odd position. I know that a few black belts were promoted at that time. Hard to put a date on or qualify a position for any of them. Most of them can be found in Vince Black's tree.

Mr. Gelinas,

Do you remember a guy named Bill Schettino?  He and Tom Bisio are good friends and met at Vince's house if I'm not mistaken.  I'm a student of Bill's and am learning Estacada and Estacada-Kajukenbo from him.  I posted a slightly revised version of this on another, smaller forum a while back after someone asked me for more information about Estacada:

“Thanks for the opportunity to discuss one of my favorite martial arts and martial artists. Estacada is a form of internal boxing developed by William (Bill) Schettino. It has a boxing/Thai boxing framework, but the movements (punches, kicks, elbows, knees, etc.) are grounded upon the same kinds of internal body mechanics that you'd find in Xing Yi or Ba Gua, etc. In addition, it has a grappling (locks, throws, and destructions) and weapons curriculum that uses the exact same body mechanics, so that everything that is done in the system is basically an expression of the same set of principles.

I consider Bill to be a "coach's coach" with respect to his ability to take any martial artist and help them to do what they already do at a significantly higher level. He teaches primarily one-on-one but will teach small group seminars if asked. Quite a few MMA fighters go to Bill for coaching and I know that several members of a national LEO contacted Bill for specialized training a few years ago, because they felt the empty hands training they had received was not adequate. Speaking solely for myself: I have a modest set of skills and yet Bill always makes me feel like a 220 pound hunk of wood as he chases me around the room doing his version of "push hands."

Estacada-Kajukenbo is simply Estacada placed upon a Kajukenbo foundation. Bill spent several years in San Diego learning directly under Sijo Emperado; he kept the hard hitting, "monkey line," format, but uses Estacada principles to teach a series of 52 "sets" that comprise the basis of instruction up until Black Belt level. It's a profound expression of Kajukenbo very much in line with Sijo's original intention (and has received his enthusiastic endorsement).

It was Bill's misfortune (or fortune) to be born a 16th century man in the 20th century - but I figured that most of you on this forum will appreciate him.”

Further information can be found at:  www.estacada.net

Best,

Steve Lamade

Stephen Lamade
Estacada-Kajukenbo

www.northshoreac.com