Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajukenbo Cross-Over?

Author Topic: Kajukenbo Cross-Over?  (Read 5469 times)

allen73

Kajukenbo Cross-Over?
« on: June 16, 2007, 10:19:17 PM »
Just wanted to share a interesting bit of info I found on the web.Some of you might have already read it. It is in regards to Kajukenbo's "cross-over".The article refers to the cross over as the foot work and hand cover technique developed after Sijo's brother Joe(Emperado) was killed in a bar fight. Joe was stabbed from the rear by an unidentified attacker after finishing the attacker in front of him. At the time Kajukenbo practiced backwards stepping away from the attacker. The following passage is taken directly from the article."The cross over was angular footwork designed specifically to prevent "Back-Stabbing". By exiting from a single opponent encounter at an angle , you pan 180 degrees of vision and take in possible attackers, before crossing over and panning another 180 degrees of vision to assess what threat remains. This allows you to safely engage other opponents." Now, I don't know the validity of the article or the truth behind our exit strategy but maybe one the Seniors can help.It also mentions Kajukenbo's "Shadowless Kick".

Mahalo

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
Re: Kajukenbo Cross-Over?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:08:31 PM »
At the time Kajukenbo practiced backwards stepping away from the attacker. The following passage is taken directly from the article."The cross over was angular footwork designed specifically to prevent "Back-Stabbing". By exiting from a single opponent encounter at an angle , you pan 180 degrees of vision and take in possible attackers, before crossing over and panning another 180 degrees of vision to assess what threat remains. This allows you to safely engage other opponents." Now, I don't know the validity of the article or the truth behind our exit strategy but maybe one the Seniors can help.It also mentions Kajukenbo's "Shadowless Kick".

Very nice.  Would you mind posting a link to this article ?  My Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo school uses a lot of crossover footwork after kicks, as well as using that "jumping switch kick", which we call a spring kick.  Would the article be this one ?

http://www.realfighting.com/issue7/rharris.html

from that article :
"Trademark techniques are (1) shadowless kick, (2) double grab, (3) hammer fist, and (4) cross-cover. The "shadowless" kick refers to special low-line attacks directed to the legs, groin, and abdomen. The kick is shadowless because balance is not broken and "telegraphing" or showing the movement is minimized. There is also a jump "switching kick" that is deceptive with foot replacement in the air."

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:32:36 PM by Gints Klimanis »
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Todd Reiner

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »
That was a really good article, Thanks.

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »
awesome article - I enjoyed it very much.. thanks Gints
Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning
(Universal Kempo Karate School-former student under Inst. Keith Higa)

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »
Hey, don't thank me.  I never would have found the link with Google had it not been for Allen's post on the topic.

allen73

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »
Ah Gints,

You never cease to amaze me. Yes the link you posted was where I got my info. I'm glad to see there's someone like me who searches the internet feverishly looking for Kajukenbo information.Take care and Mahalo

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »
Hi Allan,  The search started with Prof. John Bishop's article on Kajukenbo in "Inside Kung Fu" or "Black Belt" circa 1991.  If you are interested in
those articles, contact Prof. Bishop on this forum.  Perhaps I may be able to dig them up and rescan, but I dunno where they are right now.   I don't know if Prof. Bishops hosts them on his site.  He will likely know of a good source for them.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 12:40:56 AM »
Hi Allan,  The search started with Prof. John Bishop's article on Kajukenbo in "Inside Kung Fu" or "Black Belt" circa 1991.  If you are interested in
those articles, contact Prof. Bishop on this forum.  Perhaps I may be able to dig them up and rescan, but I dunno where they are right now.   I don't know if Prof. Bishops hosts them on his site.  He will likely know of a good source for them.

Most of them are on my website, here:

http://kajukenboinfo.com/articles.html
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 03:45:03 AM »
Great articles, Prof. Bishop.  I had read them in the past.  Your site doesn't include the article I mentioned, and it would be great to see it with pictures.  Are you allowed  by Black Belt or other magazines to host scans of your articles on your web site?

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 08:55:27 AM »
OK, OK.  I learned a fair amount of Kaju history as a kid back in the late '70s/early '80s.  And, I admit, some of it I've forgotten.

But did I read that Ron Harris article correctly?  Did Sijo really take a job as a janitor at a funeral home so that he could have access to ... uh ... practice dummies??

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 12:42:16 PM by John Bishop »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
OK, OK.  I learned a fair amount of Kaju history as a kid back in the late '70s/early '80s.  And, I admit, some of it I've forgotten.

But did I read that Ron Harris article correctly?  Did Sijo really take a job as a janitor at a funeral home so that he could have access to ... uh ... practice dummies??

I guess anythings possible.  But I found what I believe to be a few inaccuracies in the article.  In the death of Joe Emperado, here's a pretty good account of what happened; http://www.topekakarate.com/  (under legacy of Godin).

I could be wrong, but I don't recall Sijo ever working as a janitor anywhere.  I don't know what kind of jobs he may have had as a young teen, but he went in the Army at 19.  When he got out of the Army he was unemployed for a little while, before working with Pan American World Airlines.  He later went to work as a Harbor Policeman with the Hawaii Dept. of Transportation.   From there he went to the Hawaii Attorney Generals Office.  From there to Director of Security at the Kukui Plaza, in Honolulu.  He had his first heart attack and bypass surgery around 1982, and went on disability. 

Again, anythings possible.  Sijo has lived a very long and interesting life.  I don't think anyone knows everything about his life.  And he's probably not told anyone everything about his life.  But there is some information out there that more legend then fact. ;)

John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »
Thanks, Prof. John.  I do recall Ahgung Ramos telling us about "the fight" at the Pink Elephant. 

But the janitor at the funeral parlor seemed like it might be a little far-fetched.  Clever and creative ... but a little far fetched. 
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana