Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Becoming a Martial Arts Journalist

Author Topic: Becoming a Martial Arts Journalist  (Read 15432 times)

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
Re:Becoming a Martial Arts Journalist
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 07:02:06 AM »
Not a big deal. I'v been doing Photoslop since...uh...uh....uh...1995. It was Photoshop 2.5. The only digital SLR was the Kodak DCS100. It only shot Black & White and had this enormous backpack and cost $15,000. The Pro line ditial camera backs were around $25,000. The first consumer digital camera ever on the market was the Apple Quicktake which took 640x480 images with terrible quality and it cost $999. Whew, we've come a long way!

I'm ususally pretty good about restricting who & what I do photo services for. Since I really do have a photo background, I simply tell them how much it will cost. :) That ususally keeps things in check. That way I can do the things I WANT to do without being being the guy with the truck everyone wants to borrrow.

I set up a mini photo studio in my basement. Using my Vivitar 283's, a home-made sync box, couple of umbrellas, a diffusing screen and a 12 x 25 backdrop. I was able to shoot portraits for last year's Christmas gifts to the family. It worked out well but if I do it again, I am not printing them. I'm just taking them up to any of these digital photo places to print them out. The quality is far more consistant and I don't have to color correct for various printing inks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 07:03:13 AM by Rob Poelking »
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
Re:Becoming a Martial Arts Journalist
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 03:51:06 PM »
Cool, Rob.   It sounds like you've been doing this for a while.  I'm what you call an "incidental photographer."
I do just enough to improve my martial arts stills and video.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Mariel Maeso

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Re: Becoming a Martial Arts Journalist
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 11:11:44 AM »
I have a camera of 10 megapixels but I never used it on 10 because it used alot of space, instead I have it on 5 megapixels.
University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus
1st Degree Black Belt
Under Sigung Jerry Mendez 7th Degree Black Belt
www.kajukenbopuertorico.com
www.kajukenbohispano.com
Hapkido & Farang Mu Sul 
Under Master Dennis Vega