Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Co-Moderator Introduction to Internal Arts Section

Author Topic: Co-Moderator Introduction to Internal Arts Section  (Read 4774 times)

Gary Forbach

Co-Moderator Introduction to Internal Arts Section
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:25:57 PM »
Hello, Aloha, and Ni hao....
As I was browsing through the Cafe this weekend, I happened to notice my name listed as a "Moderator" on this topic.
I am happy to have the opportunity to participate in this forum on Internal Arts.
For those of you that do not know me, my name is Sifu Gary L. Forbach.  (Known as GM Gary Forbach in KAJUKENBO)
I want to make that point right away before I begin to share my humble knowledge and experience in the Internal Arts.
I do this because I know the impact of "portraying ones self as an expert in one discipline and allowing others to think that level of proficiency applies in all other Arts we might dabble in".
I am a "through and through” product of KAJUKENBO.
My interest in Martial Arts began in the early-mid 60's and especially after watching "The Green Hornet".
I was raised in Southern Arizona and found that because of my size, I was really in need of some Self-Defense.  I met GM Aleju Reyes and that was it!
While training and practicing KAJUKENBO I still had a secret passion for "Kung-Fu".
Maybe because it looked so "cool" or because of its "mystic".  I think it was the "weapons".
Now, almost 40 yrs. later I realize how lucky I was to actually "NOT have access to Kung-Fu training".
Why?  Because it made me focus on GM Reyes' "KAJUKENBO - Kenpo Karate" training.  Nothing to distract me while I worked on understanding and perfecting the basics and philosophy of KAJUKENBO.
In the true tradition of KAJUKENBO, GM Reyes knew of my hunger for the Kung-Fu styles and not only gave me his blessings to pursue them, but also actually "hooked me up" with Sifu Eric Lee.  (KAJUKENBO/Wun Hop Kuen Do)
WOW!  I realize now how lucky I was.  The rest is history.
Now that I have given you a little background (hope no one feel asleep!) on my Martial Arts training, I'd like to give you a brief history of why (I guess) I was chosen to help moderate this section.
After many years in KAJUKENBO and working my way to 2nd Degree Black Belt with GM Reyes:
1.  1974 - Present studying with Sifu Eric Lee/Traditional Sillum/Shaolin, Weapons, etc.
2.  1979 - 1990 Training and studying with Master Anthony Chan/Contemporary WUSHU - Forms, weapons, Taijiquan, etc.  (Also with his assistants, including Gary Toy)
3.  1981 - Invited to Beijing with first group of foreigners
to study "Chen Taijiquan" with Prof. Feng Zhiqiang and Prof. Kan Gui Xiang.  Also working members of the Beijing Wushu team and Coach Wu Bin.  *  We were only there for a couple of weeks, but trained 8 hrs./day - 6 days/week.  (I hate when people say they trained in China but never mention it was only for a short and sometimes intense period)
I won't list all of the Instructors I have worked with in many different styles for both short and extended periods of time to expand and explore the many styles and variations within the Chinese Arts, but each of them have helped me to obtain a better understanding of this complex discipline.
Now that I have tried to give you all a short "history" of my experience beyond the KAJUKENBO, let me say that I will try to share with you those "ups & downs" I went through coming from KAJUKENBO.
I hold "NO" rank in true, traditional Chinese Martial Arts and do not claim to.  
I continue, to this day to practice and teach the "Chen 36 Forms" as taught to me by Professors Feng and Kan while in Beijing.  I have brought Prof. Kan to So. Cal. for seminars and "tune-ups for me!".
I also teach basic "Sun Style" as taught to me by Professor Paul Lam while visiting So. Cal. from Australia several years ago.
I have seen many websites and postings by KAJUKENBO people around the world claiming that Gary Forbach had "left" KAJUKENBO and is only teaching Taijiquan.
Where do these people get their freakin' information?
Oh Yeah!!  The proverbial "Rumor Mill"...  Whatever!
I don't respond to these comments because it's a waste of time, although I'd be lying if I said it did not irritate me a bit!
So!  I've chosen this site (our site) to educate the curious about what "is & is not"....
I am still teaching KAJUKENBO (and always will), but also have several groups of all ages that I teach the SUN and Chen 36 Forms to.
Not everyone can nor wants to train in KAJUKENBO.  For those that do, I'm here.  And for those that do not or cannot, I'm here.
Taijiquan DOES benefit the KAJUKENBO practitioner after a certain point of training.  As long as you do not mix-up the purpose of each art.
Taijiquan helped me become more focused and mentally aware of my application.  Breathing, centering, balance, range of motion are only a few of the benefits we can borrow from Internal Training.
I also continue to practice my forms & weapons training
to keep my mind sharp and body strong.
I have seen several discussions in this section where two or more people are arguing/debating the "pros and cons" of integrating Internal Arts to KAJUKENBO.
You will notice that you never hear negative comments about the, good or bad of the mix from people that have actually tried it!  I'm sure they will all tell you that they found parts of other styles that helped them in their KAJUKENBO.
I will try to answer your questions about my experience within both worlds, but I WILL NOT waste time justifying why or "what's better or best".  If you really want to know, chose the style you want, ask questions to find the right teacher and TRAIN!!
I keep the teaching of my arts separate to preserve the tradition and not confuse students about what they are learning.  Keep it real!
Well, enough!  But I did want to clear the confusion about who or what I am.  If I can help answer any questions about KAJUKENBO and its relationship to Internal Arts, please feel free to ask.

Respectfully,
Sifu Gary Forbach

P.S.  There are many others more qualified to Moderate this section that I will try to convince to participate.  But until I can find that person, I will do my best to help.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 01:27:09 PM by GForbach »

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
Re:Co-Moderator Introduction to Internal Arts Section
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:04:53 PM »
GM Forbach,
At Professor Harper's seminar I asked if you would share some of your experiences with us on the cafe about your training in China.

What was it like?
How were you treated?
What did you take away from the experience?
How would others go about training in China?
If you could go to China tomorrow, who would you train with and why?

There are many who would like to go to China. Let us know what to expect on the journey.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com