Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajumoms

Author Topic: Kajumoms  (Read 6473 times)

Offline rookie

• White Belt
Kajumoms
« on: May 11, 2003, 09:55:45 AM »
Today is mothers day and I would like to say a great Happy Mothers Day to any of the female martial artists who just happen to be mothers.  It takes a lot to be able to have a job, practice martial arts and to be a full time mother.  These women have contributed a lot to the arts and their sacrifices are well appreciated.  Again I hope you all enjoy your day because you all deserve it.

;DHappy Mother's Day ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
There can be only ONE! - Highlander

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re:Kajumoms
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 02:45:31 PM »
I thought my following story belongs in this section. To all you moms, thank you!

Instructor Sheryl's Surprise Baby Shower

Even while pregnant, my wife continued teaching Chinese Kempo Karate. She continued running her branch and substituting at mine until her seventh month.  When she finally stepped down and had me run both branches, one of our students mentioned that we should throw her a baby shower.

I didn’t want to take away from my student’s class time and decided to have it on a group family night where a few families get together at my church once a month to watch a movie while having a potluck followed by a discussion. The organizer of the group was okay with this idea. Thus it was decided to throw Instructor Sheryl a surprise baby shower.

The movie for that night was to be Bob Hope’s “Road to Morocco.” When we pulled into the parking lot on the night of the shower, Sheryl’s comment was "I didn't realize there were so many Bob Hope fans." Upon entered the main room of the building, everyone from church members who never come to family night to a couple of friends from work and a lot of our students shouted, “Surprise!” and a live folk band started playing. Even though I knew about the party ahead of time, I did not know about the band. Wow!

The food was great. A family that we teach made the best spaghetti complete with homemade sauce. Someone else had the best cornbread and someone else brought one of my favorites (you can never go wrong with the Colonel’s fried chicken). There was much more.

The cake, now that was something else. It had a picture of two children working out. One was kicking a bag while the other was holding it along with caption that said, “Swoosh!” The top of the cake said “Karate Kid II” and the bottom said “Kicking Out Soon!” I looked at Forrest, my first child, and asked if he knew who Karate Kid number one is. He just smiled.

Although I told people no presents were required, we received lots of gifts. Sheryl was happy because the stress of shopping for necessities was minimized. Even Forrest received an action figure that he wanted. That impressed me because too often the rest of the family is ignored while the baby receives all the attention. Everything was great. Now all we have to do is wait till the Thanksgiving due date.

Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 02:33:16 AM »
I think it is great to have a Kajumom around. They are the moms who help inspire the young people. They also have the understanding of children. It give them a sense of belonging and being part of the program, watching theirs and others grow to be mature and responsive students. Some schools may be a drop off for the little guys, but they need more than just that. Several parents help organize functions, give rides to who needs them and just over all assist the teachers when in need. A Kajumom is a great asset to the school and the teacher also is the kajudads
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 04:21:39 PM »
I think that was a great story.  It's so nice to hear such wonderful things like this.  Best of luck with the new bady and congrats.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Pacificshore

• Yellow Belt
  • Just train!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 10:05:32 PM »
Very nice story, and an excellent example of what a martial arts family is all about :).  Including the rest of the church members ;D.
Gene R.
Kara-Ho Kempo

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 04:34:53 PM »
What a great story!  :) I agree thank you for sharing.
True Ohana.  ;D
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 07:32:15 PM »
I have to brag about my wife a little more. During her spare moments in the days right after the baby shower, she was busy writing on pieces of paper. At first, I didn't know what she was up to. Then I realized she was writing thank you notes to everyone. All I can say is I am humble that I have such a wonderful woman as well as great students and friends. Oftentimes, I ask myself how I get so lucky and what did I do to deserve this. Thank you for listening. Just a little nervous as the baby is due this month. Us guys have it easy!

TODD

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 10:23:37 PM »
Us guys do have it easy...I watched my kids being born with total amazement towards my wife to go through such pain to bring another life into this world.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 01:32:31 AM »
What a nice section. It's nice to read. Thank you to those that write in here. I thought you should know that I appeciate your honesty.

:)
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 02:07:48 PM »
Great News from the Land of Oz!

Dear Ohana Members,

Just thought you would like to know that Walter Remington Evans was born at 3:44am on November 16, 2003 to Andrew and Sheryl Baber Evans (almost two weeks early). He weighed 7 lbs. 5 ozs. and measured 19". I’m going to place a picture at http://rpoelking.4dwebhosting.com/cgi-bin/yabbse/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=549

Most importantly, my family wants to say thank you! The care and support from the Kajukenbo Ohana has helped to fill many voids in being one of the few schools in the Heartland with Chinese Kempo/Kajukenbo roots.

A big Mahalo!

TODD

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 04:51:49 PM »
Congrats!  Having 5 of my own you'll be thankful your in shape. ;D

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 05:13:58 PM »
Congrats!!  Best of luck with everything.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 11:01:08 PM »
Hello from Kansas
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Walter is already 2 months old, and has taught us a very important lesson...patience is a very limited virtue...oh my gosh, he just had a major blowout!    :o  :P
S B Evans

Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 05:23:16 PM »
Just want you to know that I was holding Walter at the time of his blowout. And yes, I did my duty. The only time I hesitate is when we are in a public place. If you ever see a mens' public bathroom, you'll understand. Women are a lot cleaner.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 11:44:24 PM »
Welcome Kenpomama: ;D

Looking forward to reading your posts. Glad to see all is well on your side of the world.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.