Author Topic: CHA 3 Kenpo  (Read 16167 times)

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
Re: CHA 3 Kenpo
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
Resik:

ATTENTION NEW AND OLD MEMBERS:  If your member name is a "nick name", WE REQUIRE that you please put your true name and affiliation in the "signature" section of your profile, so it appears at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline GM Shangko

• White Belt
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
Aloha Steve, GM Lennie Siangco of the Shangko Fighting System and High Chief of the Pedoy School of Escrima Maui Branch. I started CHA-3 Kenpo Brotherhood in 1969 with Chief Tommy Torado under Prof. Marino Tywanak. We had the old school training back then. I still remember the instructions when you get hurt ...Pass it Down the line. CHA-3 Kenpo knows what that means...lol.   I am also under the late GM Jullian Blue Generalao with Chinese Kenpo, he was one of Sijo Emperados first line of Black Belts along with Prof, Tywanak and the others. Anyway nice meeting you keep in touch.
Grandmaster Lennie Siangco/Shangkou Fighting System/Pulahan Derobio Eskrima

Offline kanakamaolikenpokane

• White Belt
  • Instructor/w Sijo Sam & Professor Lance KekoaBrown
Training video CHA-3/ Quest For Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »

Aloha Mai to fellow Kenpo Men,
 In regards to fellow Black Belt Gints. When seeking out CHA-3 brothers and sisters, there is a protocal in contacting them. It has to be by letter of introduction from your Professor Lewis or his Instructor Sijo Sam Kamuela Brown of Reno, Nevada (Ken-Ju-Bo-Ai National Association). In regards to the seperation of Sam Brown and CHA-3, that is only between himself and the late Professor Marino Tiwanak. That was in regards to  your statement about politics in the Martial Arts. Also, you were misinformed about Professor Lewis training in Honolulu with CHA-3. He learned the older  CHA-3 arts from his Instructor, my uncle Sijo Sam Kamuela Brown. I have met Professor Lewis and respect him and his philosophy. I also had the honor of meeting the late Professor Marino Tiwanak and know his son Professor Michael Tiwanak of the CHA-3 (originally Civilian Housing #3 (naval housing #3), now called (Central Hawai'i Acitivies #3) in Honolulu, O'ahu. Professor Marino Tiwanak had high regards for Sijo Sam Brown and said "he was my right hand man" when talking to me personally. I had the pleasure of attending a dinner with him and other great Grand Masters Clarence Lee and Grand Master Ming of San Francisco. That is why if you want to contact other CHA-3 or KEN-JU-BO-AI members(which I am a board member and 5th degree/ Go Dan black belt) it is always with the blessings from your Professor and the other systems Professors. I don't mean to discourage you from seeking knowledge of the Kenpo/Kempo arts, but urge you to follow proper protocol and accepted etiquette.  Malama Kou Kino 'Ame Malama Kou Pu'uwai,   A Hui Hou  -  Kaleimoku
Damien Kaleimoku Cabral Instructor for Portland, Oregon KJBANA Chapter

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
I have never heard of a protocol to see or talk to your brothers and sisters ....Ohana.....brotherhood should be an open book....
Professor John E Bono DC
8th Degree Gaylord's Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor- Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do and Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision.

Offline kanakamaolikenpokane

• White Belt
  • Instructor/w Sijo Sam & Professor Lance KekoaBrown
Talking to brothers and sistersi is fine. But, to seek PROTOCAl.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 02:47:21 PM »

To respond to open book! That is fine to talk to brothers and sisters of the love of the art. When you are looking to discuss techniques and systems. It is then you request through your hiarchy or teacher, may it be Sifu, Sensei, Professor, Master. That is why we have a ranking system. You should show respect, then respect will be given. Like we say in Hawaiian to be Ha'a Ha'a (Humble). You would reap greatness and friendship, this what we mean through protocal. Especially if he is trying to learn more about his generation from Go shin jutsu through Ken-Ju-Bo-Ai through CHA-3  Again that is through his teacher Professor Richard Lewis. Without that structure, would be all chaos! Tradition and Respect is all what was mentioned. Again to reach out to a brother or sister of the Arts that is fine. But, to discuss it! Always PROTOCAL! The old proverb- Like an open book! Loose lips sink ships. We do not want (BACHI), bad karma. With Respect and with ALOHA- A is for Akahai- to be kind and respectable,  L- is for Lokahi to be humble and giving from ones self,  O- is for 'Olu'Olu- to be kind and thoughtful, H- Ha'a Ha'a- to be humble and giving without any expectations, A- Ahonui- To serve & giving from ones heart. So I say to you ALOHA!
Mahalo Nui Loa! Kaleimoku with RESPECT.
Damien Kaleimoku Cabral Instructor for Portland, Oregon KJBANA Chapter

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
Damien, it's good to hear from you, buddy! 8)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 03:09:31 PM »
I have to say I think there is no disrespect in talking....All students any rank from any school can come up to me ask me a question email or call.....I am open to share what I have learn....  My Instructors, Yoshii, Hartsell, GGM Gaylord all agree.....I have nothing to hide and life is short...Gints has trained with me and he knows how it works....he is a friendly and very respectful student and his Instructor is the same....I guess we all have our ways of doing things...my students are very respectful of other Instructors.....that's how they learn to be through their training....Teachers are meant to teach.......the best I have met were open minded and open and didn't look down on people willing to learn....Peace
Professor John E Bono DC
8th Degree Gaylord's Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor- Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do and Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision.

Offline John Bishop

• Administrator
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
    • John Bishop's Kajukenbo Homepage
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
I have to say I think there is no disrespect in talking....All students any rank from any school can come up to me ask me a question email or call.....I am open to share what I have learn....  My Instructors, Yoshii, Hartsell, GGM Gaylord all agree.....I have nothing to hide and life is short...Gints has trained with me and he knows how it works....he is a friendly and very respectful student and his Instructor is the same....I guess we all have our ways of doing things...my students are very respectful of other Instructors.....that's how they learn to be through their training....Teachers are meant to teach.......the best I have met were open minded and open and didn't look down on people willing to learn....Peace

I think that's one of the things that sets Kajukenbo apart from some of the other systems; a sense of sharing.  Most of the Kaju teachers I've had the chance to train with or talk to were always willing to share, both to Kajukenbo ohana and other martial artists.
I've personally always been open to anyone in the martial arts who wants to learn about or talk about Kajukenbo. 
Actually, I've seen this openness with many seniors from various systems.   
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA
www.kajukenboinfo.com

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »
Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than when my son is finishing a technique and says, "I got this from GM Harper" or "I got this from GM Sotelo or Prof. Bono," etc. We all learn from each other. I had four remarkable Kajukenbo teachers and each one had a different philosophy on the art, life, my training needs, etc.

Powell's Mixed Martial Arts Academy
Grandmaster Mitch Powell KSDI#549
Emperado Method Kajukenbo Kenpo-Karate
(707) 344-1655

Offline Resik

• White Belt
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
Is there anyone else here taking CHA 3 Kenpo, or am I the only one?  Just wondering, we are few and far between outside of Hawaii, I'm in Texas.
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »
Which school in Texas ?
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Resik

• White Belt
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
I'm learning in Rowlett, Texas.  My instructor is currently teaching from his house. He was teaching in Rockwall before but now in Rowlett.
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »
Texas and Arizona are large states, but check with Prof. George Lim

http://www.kajuaz.com/instructor.html

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA