Author Topic: Palama Set/Pinans  (Read 3682 times)

rcollette

Palama Set/Pinans
« on: September 27, 2005, 08:16:16 AM »
Boy, I sure hope my first post isn't in the wrong area ;)

I had previously trained in Mitose's Kosho-Ryu Kenpo in Manteca, CA - moved to Tucson, AZ, and I am now training in Kajukenbo under SiGung Chris Valdez.

I've popped into two other Kajukenbo schools, just to see how they perform the Pinans/Palama Sets.  The reason I did this, was I noticed a very close similarity between the Neku Buto Kata as taught by the Mitose Kosho-Ryu Schools, and the Palama Sets taught in my Kajukenbo School.

What I found were the other schools perform the kata slightly different, and I was wondering if anyone would care to type out how they were taught the forms?

We do Set 1 this way (Terminology is how I was taught - if something is unclear, please do ask):

1) Begin in the back of the mat/room with a front right stance and left downward block
2) Left front stance and right outward block
3) Right front stance and left inward block
4) Look to the 9 o'clock
5) Shift to 9 o'clock facing low-squat horse stance and crossblock
6) Double punch chambering into a right hand box punch
7) look to 12 o'clock
8) step to 12 o'clock right front stance and left hand lunge punch
9) horse stance and right elbow strike
10) looking to 6 o'clock cat stance right hand palm heel block over groin and left hand palm up about chin height (very Chinese looking stance)
11) left hand to right shoulder, forward foot down into an "L" stance, right hand kenpo punch to the groin.
12) back into the cat stance left hand downward block and chamber, right hand kenpo punch to right below the nose.
13) right front stance, left hand lunge punch
14) pivot on left foot to horse stance facing 12 o'clock and crossblock/finish.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: Palama Set/Pinans
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 09:12:45 AM »
The similarities are there because your teacher, whom I assume is Jason Cortez, learned from Thomas Mitose, who before being reunited with his father, James Motose, was a Kajukenbo black belt under Joe Halbuna.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

rcollette

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »
That is kind of what I was thinking.. Sensei Jason was my instructor in Manteca, great guy, great family, I miss them alot.

Was my description of the Palama set 1 fairly accurate for the other Kajukenbo schools? 

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:49:14 PM »
It's remarkably different from the one I learned, but as I understand it, Professor Andrae is one of the last to use the Pinans he learned.  Something about them being changed at some point.  It is one of my long-term projects to identify the shifts/changes over time through the history of Original Method, specifically how it is taught today in the majority of schools compared with what I've been learning.
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 10:26:28 AM »
It is real close to the one I know. Most of the ones you practice are real close. I use to be a guest instructor in MItose's school in Antioch and also did a demo at the grand opening of Jason's school in Manteca, so I have seen and compared all of them.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

tycoa7

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 12:04:36 AM »
Rick,
Please put your time and grade into Kajukenbo. Many people value the rank of black-belt in kajukenbo. my students have learned to honor the rank.  Do not be a one minute black-belt.  Honor up and serve your time and grade.....

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »

Howdy

About the palama set 1 to 4 ...I leasrn it like Hakuen from the chuan fa /Whkd version ...most horse stance ...but also from the emperado method like u said in the post....more karate influenced...

Steeve
Steve Malette
Kajukenbo /chuan fa  Honor to GM Gelinas,Sifu Baralis.Sifu  Fajardo
Ng Ga kuen Kung fu(GM Ark Yueh Wong system) under Sifu Seming Ma
Kuntao Silat De Thouars Honor to Guru Tuan Randall Goodwin
Who s Who