Author Topic: Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Karate  (Read 29798 times)

Karazenpo

Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Karate
« on: March 06, 2003, 10:01:41 AM »
        PROFESSOR WALTER L.N. GODIN, 1937-2001

Following is a letter from Professor Eugene Sedeño, Sifu Michael Cataline's teacher, on the death of Professor Walter L.N. Godin:

On August 7, 2001 Professor Walter L.N. Godin passed away in Hawaii. Professor Godin was my first and long-time Kajukenbo teacher in Kaimuki and I will miss him.

Walter Leo Niakala Godin

March 21, 1937 to August 7, 2001

Born and raised on Richard Lane in the rough and tough town known as Kalihi, he had to fight almost every day, because he was going to the private school known as Kamehemeha and not Kalakaua. Godin's father, a Frenchman, taught him the art of Savate (French style kick boxing) at a young age. Godin, being the kid from Kalihi that he was, figured that his father was trying to teach him something that he had already learned in the streets. It was known as "shoe job".

In 1949, at the age of 12, his dad enrolled him in Judo to study under instructor "Rubber Man" Migami. In the 50's, Godin enrolled himself in the Kajukenbo Self-Defense Institute and began his Kenpo Training under Professor Adriano D. Emperado and his brother Joe Emperado. In the 60's, he flew to Los Angeles to teach martial arts with his brother-in-law Victor "Sonny" Gascon. Together, they founded Karazenpo-Go-Shinjutsu, which is presently taught worldwide.

He also spent some time in the Johnson Islands and trained every day for a year and a half with his very good friend "Brother" Abe Kamahoahoa. Increasing his personal knowledge of Martial Arts, he learned the deadly art of Lua from his friend Abe. Lua is a Hawaiian Martial Art that was designed for only one thing, total destruction. It was used only in Hawaiian war fighting and can cause loss of limbs, permanent crippling, mutilation, or disfigurement of the body. Brother Abe told Godin that he was not allowed to teach his art of Lua to anyone but his Ohana.

In the 70's, Aikido black belts Elaine and Shige Kurosawa introduced Godin to the Aikido Master, Koichi Tohei sensei, who then taught Godin the art of "Ki",  which originates in the lower abdomen, Seika-no-itten, and Misogi, a breathing method.

Walter L.N. Godin, the founder of Keiki Martial Arts of Hawaii and Godin's School of Self Defense, went back to his roots by teaching at Palama Settlement, where he still was running and teaching classes at the time of his death.  The Palama Settlement is where Sijo Adriano D. Emperado introduced the brutally effective Kajukenbo system in 1950 to the public  in a "closed door" training program. The training that took place there is legendary.

In 1973, on December 16th, Grand Master William K.S. Chow handed down his Professorship with a 10th degree diploma and his blessings to Godin with Professor Frank Ordonez to witness this event. Godin was working on publishing a book on his life with Joe Emperado, "The Untold Story".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:03 PM by -1 »

Sifu Mike

Re: Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Kar
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 05:29:42 AM »
I am looking for the book called "Kajukenbo My Roots" The Untold story of Professor Walter Godin. I read a story about Prof. Godin in a artical in "Fighting Arts Hawaii" and they mention the book. If you could help me out and email me where I can obtain a copy please let me know.
Mahalo  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »

Karazenpo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 06:12:34 AM »
Hello Sifu Mike and welcome to the forum. I don't know where you can get that book but I will ask Sigung Bishop, hopefully he will.   Shihan Joe

PS: I attempted to check a few sources for you on my own in my attempt, I found a more recent bio on Professor Godin that mentions the book was in the works when he passed away. I have now replaced the 1994 bio I had with updated version.                         

John Hackleman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 01:49:17 PM »
Prof Godin's liniage is the strongest...it precedes The Pit, one of the most most successful producers, and trainers of MMA/UFC fighters in the world today.  Godin was a great leader, and motivator, and The Pit Fighters all pay homage to him regularly.

John Hackleman, Chuck Liddell, Gan McGee, Tim Kennedy, Matt Lindland, Cecil Peoples, are all fighters who owe a large part of their success to Prof. walter Godin.

Karazenpo

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 06:03:06 AM »
 I met Professor Godin at Virginia Beach in, I believe, 1994. Sijos Gascon & Godin were honored guests at the Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu school of Sifu Bruce Corrigan. I stayed about five days. We trained and "partied", too. Both were unforgetable experiences.
  I remember a small group of us accompanied by the Professor visited the boardwalk. We were in this shop that had all kinds of wierd hats and clothing and Professor Godin was trying different shirts & hats on, driving the shopkeeper "nuts"! It was a riot. We had a blast!
  Later, the Professor told us a story about Sijo Gascon's reputation in Hawaii. He told us that when he was a blue belt, he was with his girlfriend who was Sijo's sister (and later his wife). They were about to cross the street when a  gang of thugs who had a bad reputation in the area started, as they say, "catcalling" them and making disparaging remarks. Professor Godin said he was thinking that he was only a blue belt and these guys were "bad" but he had to defend their honor. So he was ready. As the group approached them, one of the gang members looked at the young lady and said to the others, "Hey! that's Sonny Gascon's sister!"  "Let's get out of here!" (ofcouse the language was a little more "colorful" than that, lol) and they all took off!      

Respectfully submitted, Shihan Joe

Karazenpo

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 10:28:55 AM »
Return message for Sifu Mike:

Sifu, I just got word from Professor Eugene Sedeno that the final arrangements on the book and its publication are still in the works, so its not out yet. As soon as he hears, he will let me know and I will post it. Thank you.
                                           Shihan Joe Shuras

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re:Professor Walter L. N. Godin-Chinese Kempo Karate
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 06:54:35 PM »
I am proud to be part of Professor Walter Godin's lineage and enjoyed reading the posted stories. Here's a short story he told me back in 2000:

While in California during the late 1950's, Godin frequently visited Grandmaster Ed Parker’s school in Pasadena to work out. It was within a couple of blocks from the Karazenpo school that he and his brother-in-law Sijo Sonny Gascon ran.

Godin was a fast and viscious fighter. One of his frequent sparring partners was Elvis Presley. Godin was so fast that he had to slow down and go easy with the young King of Rock and Roll. Although Parker had a lot of respect for Godin, Godin was asked not to attend any of Parker's tournaments for fear that his tough sparring techniques would create too rough of an environment and things would get out of hand.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Kenmpoka

• White Belt
    • Martial Arts Institute
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 01:13:06 AM »
Mr. Evans,

If possible, please post some information in regards to Chinese Kempo Karate's (Godin's lineage) curriculum. i.e...Kata, Techniques...

Respectfully,
Peter Teymouraz
Martial Arts Institute
http://community.webtv.net/pteymouraz

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 02:01:55 PM »
Response to Mr. Teymouraz question about Godin's Curriculum:

Professor Walter Godin was the personal bodyguard and chief instructor of Sijo Adriano Emperado. When Godin left KSDI to do his own thing, he continued to focus on streetfighting but wanted to add more fluidity while keeping his art dangerous. Godin added soft but brutal techniques to Sijo's original hard style of Kajukenbo. These "soft" techniques include eye pokes, monkey hands, rakes, and tiger claws.

Much of Godin's curriculum was developed when he and his brother-in-law, Sijo Victor "Sonny" Gascon, founded Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. I also believe more "soft" Chinese techniques were added when Godin went back to train with Professor William Chow, who was Sijo's instructor. Throughout his life, Godin trained a lot of champion kickboxers. Thus his material also reflects a boxing influence and tends to keep the hands up as opposed to the tradional position.

A lot of Godin's forms are derived from Sijo's Original Kajukenbo. For example, Godin's Chinese Kempo Kata 1 is a highly modified combination of Palama Set 1 and 6. His self-defense combinations also have a good mix of soft and hard techniques. A soft brush block followed by a hard punch to groin, then a rake to the eyes, followed by an elbow would be an example of a defense to a punch.

As for weapon forms, Godin did not focus on those. Upon being asked why, he simply told a student that all one has to do is just grab a traditional streetfighting weapon like a gun, knife, or
baseball bat.

I hope this anwers your question. If any of the above is incorrect, I apologize and ask for any corrections/additions to be posted.

Respectfully submitted,

Offline John Bishop

• Administrator
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
    • John Bishop's Kajukenbo Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2003, 03:41:28 PM »
Mr. Evans:
I don't know how familiar you are with the "Original Method" of Kajukenbo, but the techniques you described are all in the original method.  In fact the first 4 punch counters start with a soft brush block, and eye pokes, rakes, and elbow techniques are present in many of the original method techniques.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA
www.kajukenboinfo.com

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 04:37:40 PM »
Sigung Bishop,

I apologize for being unclear. Yes, Kajukenbo has a variety of techniques including the soft techniques I mentioned. What I was trying to express was that Professor Godin's curriculum had more soft techniques incorporated than the Kajukenbo he learned from Sijo. Also, I believe Godin's stances were not as deep as the original method. I notice these differences in the forms more than in the self-defense combinations.

This is based on my limited observations of the late Professor Joe Halbuna's video tapes and other Kajukenbo folks that I trained with.

Thanks for helping clarify my observations.

With respect,

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2003, 05:15:51 PM »
Thank you Professor Scott,

I was under the impression that Professor Godin was one of Sijo Adriano Emperado's top students and trained in the original method of Kajukenbo at least until 1958. Please enlighten me with more infomation.

Respectfully,

Offline Kenmpoka

• White Belt
    • Martial Arts Institute
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 01:48:51 AM »
Mr. Evans,

Thank you for the information. It is pretty much in line with what I have been told. I have kept the Kata (1-5) of Godin/Gascon in the curriculum I teach. They provide a good foundation and teach simple self defense techniques.

I was also under the impression that Messers Godin and Gascon were black belt holders of Sijo Emperado. But then again, I would not be so surprised if otherwise, since anything would fly in those days. I think my friend Joe Shuras knows what I am talking about!

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Salute,  
Peter Teymouraz
Martial Arts Institute

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 09:00:08 AM »
There is a relatively new magazine out of Hawaii called Hawaiian Martial arts or something similar to that, which did a story on Walter Godin just before he passed away.

Along with the story is a photo of Sijo Emperado promoting Walter Godin to black belt. The photo was provided by Godin to refute people claiming he never received his black belt from Sijo.

The picture appears to be around 1958 or 1959. Along with Sijo, the photo also includes Frank Ordonez, Mariano Tiwanak, Peter Y.Y. Choo and others.

Prof. Mitch Powell
KSDI, Vallejo
Powell's Mixed Martial Arts Academy
Grandmaster Mitch Powell
Original Method Kajukenbo/MMA
(707) 344-1655

Offline Kenmpoka

• White Belt
    • Martial Arts Institute
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 01:08:14 PM »
Mr.Scott,

Denial of rank and training has been an old issue in Kajukenbo circle. This is not the first time that a rank has been refuted. I am beginning to think there is political agenda behind it or a mere simple case of memory lapse!

Mitose's case can not be compared to a first or second generation Kajukenbo practitioner!

Respectfully,
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 01:09:30 PM by Kenmpoka »
Peter Teymouraz
Martial Arts Institute